Monday, March 21, 2011

The rest of my January apt..

After my hematologist and I talked, he left the room to get my blood work results. As normal he walked in, sat down and explained everything looks good, blood looks good. O.K. great, and lets go, but no! He went on to say, "Well the computer reads immature blood cells." I was easily rattled by this term, immature/abnormal cells all mean one thing, cancer. He probably noticed the drastic change in my expression as I repeated his statement. He explained, "The computer reads the blood, but I look at it also, and there were no signs of abnormalities." So basically the computer is wrong, but why would the computer report immature blood cells, if there were none there. These thoughts ran through my head as I quickly tried to retaliate with an intelligent question. All I could come up with was, "How many patients go on and do not get full blown Leukemia?" Not my best, I know, but under pressure I would say pretty good. He replied, "Mostly all, the computer is wrong sometimes." I was satisfied with that and left the office happily, normal.
As I called my husband, and relayed this information, there seemed to be a long, uncomfortable silence. I asked what was wrong? He responded, "I have been told my whole life that computers are always right and in this case I have a hard time believing that the computer is wrong." I went on to explain, that if there was something wrong, really wrong, I would have been told. Surprisingly, this still did not sit well with my husband, it was quite a change from the normal, "Your fine, its not gonna come back."
Basically, I knew I was fine, I have experienced the opposite and knew that if my doctor noticed any speck of questionable blood he would have put in the hospital, and immediately began prepping me for a BMB. I was so happy to just be left alone, to walk out and drive home was all I needed.

No comments: