Friday, March 11, 2011

January 25, 2011 Hematologist apt.

This was a routine visit, I had nothing serious going on and I wanted to get in and get out, no drama required. The doctor checked me out and everything was fine, I did talk to him about my chronic pain at the bone marrow biopsy sites and got yet another blank stare.
Apparently, there are no reports of pain after a bone marrow biopsy. The only findings reported are if the biopsy is done incorrectly. Well, I can tell you that the first five or six were not only done incorrectly, but they were completely botched. My biopsies (not the ones at Dana-Farber) took over an hour, and ranged up to 1hour and 50 minutes, that includes multiple entrance/exits which are torture, and repeats/do overs. Oh, and did I mention the fact that at one biopsy the doctor was doing such a lousy job, that of the umpteen doctors in the room watching me writhe in pain, one said, "Enough, I am taking over." Yeah, it was that bad a doctor couldn't even watch it go on any longer!
So when I mention pain at the sites, why am I hearing crickets!!! Am I really the only one with this chronic pain. I don't even get any pain meds after I have the procedures. Don't get me wrong, I am not looking for pills to pop. But, when I am told to take over the counter pain relievers that do not even come close to working I have to assume I need something stronger.
Why am I dismissed? Am I the only one with this problem?

2 comments:

Laura said...

I am a CML and Allo transplant survivor who just discovered your blog. Let me tell you girl, YES! I also have pain at my biopsy sites (9 in all), though none as clearly botched at yours, and have always been told that this doesn't happen. You are not alone! What do you say we gather up these doctors and give 'em each their own biopsy, wait a few months and then see how they feel? Eh? Keep fighting sister!

MarrowMommy said...

Thank you Laura, you know if they had a biopsy done to them we would see how fast this would turn into a surgical procedure. I'll grab my meat thermometer, and meet you at the office. Ha ha!!!
You keep up the good work too!
Thank you for your comment,
MarrowMommy